Either in or out of school students have serious thinking to do when choosing career paths. In this case, having a list of meaningful questions can make that choice easier. Performance strategist Laura Garnett has provided a hundred of them in 100 Essential Questions That Will Change Your Career Path (for the Better).
Like us, Laura clearly believes in the importance of asking good questions:
“The answer always lies within us–it just takes some time to excavate. Asking questions is a great way to be more objective about your situation and to discover new things about yourself and the path you want to be on.”
We’ve chosen to share a preview of some of them for a few reasons. First, they’re incredibly insightful and useful questions for anyone at any point in their career looking for a change. Second, we realized that many of these questions could easily be used by senior students choosing career paths before attending post-secondary school.
30 Questions for Choosing Career Paths
Here are just a few of the questions on Laura’s thoughtful list. We urge you to explore the full list of questions and consider how some of them could help your students to consider the right career.
- What do you like to learn?
- Do you do certain activities because you think it’s what you have to do?
- Are you creating a career for your parents, for society, from your own excitement, or for money?
- What is your definition of work?
- Do you believe that you can love what you do and also make money doing it?
- What is your dream?
- Do you believe in yourself?
- What challenge excites you the most in your life right now, and why?
- What impact do you want to have on other people’s lives or in the world?
- Do you feel confident that you are exceptional at something?
- When you were in college, what did you envision for yourself and your career?
- How important is loving your job to you and why?
- Do you have a career vision? If so, what is it?
- Do you think of that vision often?
- How important is security to you?
- Are you willing to take a risk with your career and your comfort zone?
- Whom do you admire most and why?
- Do you think you deserve to have a job you love and get paid well?
- Are you confident most of the time?
- What is your number-one confidence barrier?
- How can you work on that barrier?
- What is your greatest fear?
- What advice would you give yourself today about where you are in your career based on where you want to go?
- Do you feel confident most of the time or do you struggle a lot?
- Do you enjoy working alone?
- How do you do your best thinking?
- Where do you do your best thinking?
- How can you ensure you are getting out of your comfort zone more regularly?
- What is driving you?
- What have you learned about yourself and your status by answering the above questions?