The image-based social Pinterest isn’t just for making pretty digital tack boards filled with DIY projects and delicious food recipes. Pinterest is a great educational tool for teachers, homeschool parents, and other educators around the world. And the best thing is, it’s free. Here we feature 9 great Pinterest classroom ideas that will engage and entertain both teachers and students alike.
With links to virtually millions of ideas, Pinterest offers a wealth of great information and learning ideas for almost any educational environment. Everything is keyword searchable and Pinterest “pins” can be commented on and liked, similar to Facebook.
9 Awesome Pinterest Classroom Ideas and Activities
1. Get to Know Your Students – Have each student create their own board, pinning things they like and things that describe them. Then, review the boards in class, preferably on a Smart Board. It’s a great way for not only a teacher to learn about his or her new students, but for students to learn about each other as well. And don’t forget to make a board for yourself so your students know a little about you too!
2. Have Your Students Find Project Ideas – You don’t have to be the one creating all the lesson plans. Let your students get involved and help plan their own projects. Have students find interesting projects on Pinterest that relate to the topics they’re currently learning about.
3. Go on a Virtual Field Trip – Don’t have the time or money for an elaborate field trip? Then take a virtual tour via Pinterest! Create a board about a specific location and pin photos of the location, food, history, people, and culture for your students to take a digital field trip. Throughout the year, your students can travel the world!
4. Peer to Peer Critique – Have students post their work on a class pinboad for their peers to give constructive critiques.
5. Group Project Research – Pinterest is great for students who are working on group projects. They can craft a board specifically for their project and pin all their research material to the board, making it easy to access from home, school, or the library.
Pinterest Classroom Ideas to Help You Succeed as an Educator
- Get Design Ideas for Your Classroom – Pinterest is full of inspiring images from other teachers sharing their classroom setups. These photos link to helpful tips to create an organized and clutter free room.
- Find New Project Ideas – There are literally thousands of pins every day with project ideas for students, ranging in age from infant through adult. These ideas come from other teachers, homeschooling parents, and other contributors from around the world.
- Get Access to Tons of Free Printables – From games to lesson plans to clip art, Pinterest is loaded with links to free printables from around the Internet.
- Learn New Things from Free Tutorials – Need a quick refresher course or a how-to video about a new technology? Pinterest has tons of boards with tutorial pins in virtually every subject.
- 5 Education Pinterest Boards for Teachers
- The 20 Best New Social Media Tools Everyone’s Looking At
- A List of 18 Twitter-Based Classroom Activities for Learning With Social Media